A mom's review of Star Wars: Last Jedi (Spoiler: I haven't seen the movie)

My older brother was born in 1976. He is a Star Wars fan through and through. He had all the toys. (We actually now have all the toys because my mother was convinced they'd be worth something. Of course, they have decades of dust on top of years of yuck from my brother and his friends playing with them. But there is a sweet Millennium Falcon in our garage. Please don't break in, it's worth nothing.) I digress.

As the younger sister of a 70s-born American boy, I became a Star Wars fan at birth.

I love the movies. They are exciting, they are emotional, they are funny, they are incredibly creative and there's a great story line.

But forgive me fans, for I have sinned. It's been 352 days since my offense.

It's the night after Christmas 2016. We're sitting around at my brother's home and decide we should go see Rogue One. My mom agrees to watch the babies and says,"yes, go, have fun." I was really excited too because my two oldest nieces were going. I thought it would be wonderful for all of us to create this memory.

The movie was loud. Booming. I just re-read some reviews which include words like "action-packed."

Yet there I was, less than two months after giving birth, no child of mine in sight, in a dark room. I did what any sane mom would do. I took a nap. Let's be real, I didn't say, I'm going to take a nap now, no, instead my body and mind read the room and said, oh yeah, this is happening.

My head bobbing at times, trying to grasp for popcorn or soda to stay awake, I remember looking at my niece to try to interact with her. It wasn't happening. The need for sleep too raw.

I looked at my husband as the lights came on and said, "yeah, I only caught about 1/3 of that. I did, however, have fantastically trippy dreams."

I have not seen Star Wars: Last Jedi, but I did just read the run time is the longest in Star Wars history: 2 hours 32 minutes. Now that my child is out of the newborn stage, I'm excited to see the film. But for many of you out there, as long as there isn't a baby crying in it, this mom gives the movie two eyelids down, two thumbs up.

I know what you're thinking...$13ish is a really expensive nap! To which I respond, is it?


Popular Posts