Frame project to display kids' artwork


I hate clutter. You wouldn't necessarily know this by looking at my cluttered desk or house because I hate coping with clutter even more.

You know what I love. A proud, learning, growing kiddo. And I've watched a couple of times when my little boy proudly presented his artwork from school or his list of achievements from gymnastics. Thus, 

The dilemma:

How to nourish his accomplishments and contain the clutter? It's a problem that's been gnawing at me. 

I was stabbing another pushpin into our kitchen wall when I thought, "there has to be a better way!" I looked over at the bare wall in the kitchen that has been desperately crying out for some artwork since we moved in more than a year ago. 

I got the vision of a jumbo bulletin board that also looked cool. I started googling and pinteresting. And then I went to work. 

I share this idea because I'm really pleased with it, and when I find a good deal or a good idea, I want the world to know about it. I love when others share them back too! (hint, hint, there's a comments section)

After searching on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and checking a few stores, I found these two gold frames at a garage sale nearby. I felt bad about purchasing artwork for just the frames, but they were only $5 each. 

 


I bought some spray chalk paint. My plan was to put a blue coat underneath and then a white coat on top. I was going to sand it down to give it a vintage look and show the blue beneath, but after some trial and error, I preferred the all-white look. I also don't have the most gentle touch and seemed to keep sanding through the white and blue to reveal the gold. If you want a vintage look, I'd suggest using one paint color and then sanding to reveal a little of the original frame color. 



I found some bulletin boards that were pre-framed and therefore costlier. I then found the below cork roll (products listed at bottom). I stapled it around the edges to a piece of cardboard I had (an old box). I could've used thicker cork roll, but I tested some push pins and realized it was just fine with the cardboard behind it. I will say it was easy to tear this cork roll. 




I then stapled a piece of fabric over it. I kept the staples very close to the edge. I found a fabric that was nubby so it wouldn't show too many holes when I hang and unhang artwork. Again I tested it before fully putting it together. 




Unfortunately, while I was doing all of this, I ended up popping off a few of the brackets on the frame meant to keep the picture in place. I was able to add some thickness with more cardboard and then just use the brackets that remained and duct tape the back. It doesn't look pretty from behind but the wall doesn't seem to care! If you had a staple gun it would probably be a good choice, but I wasn't going to buy one just for this project. 


As I was finishing up we had a snowstorm in mid-October in Omaha that cut our power for about six hours so I busted out some paint for Jack to do a new painting to hang on the wall. 



And voila! If you're a neat freak, this might not be for you, but I'm a fan. 

Clutter contained. Pride nourished. Win.  Plus, it turns out, this mama also feels pride in having her artwork on the wall. 




Supplies:
Frames: $10 at a garage sale (from outside edge they're 23.5" x 19.5")
Cork roll: $6, I bought this one but I swear it was cheaper than now listed (another, another)
Chalk spray paint: $10, I bought this one
Fabric: Unfortunately I can't remember the price or find the receipt. I know it was on sale! Also, fabric is not needed, but I love the look! I bought a yard of fabric and have plenty left. 
Cardboard: I had at home and this could vary by project
Stapler, scissors, duct tape: I had these at home and what you use could vary

Including fabric, the total cost for two of these frames was probably close to about $40, but when I started looking at comparables on Wayfair (here, here, here), this was a good deal. 

Popular Posts