One internet response to "Making a Murderer" fires me up


My 2015 holiday season will go down as the time I binge-watched Netflix's "Making a Murderer." I know I'm not alone in that, but unlike many watchers, I knew the story. I knew what would happen to Stephen Avery and Brendan Dassey in court. I worked in television news in Wisconsin during some of this time. I saw a lot of familiar faces among the media cut-away shots. Heck, by chance, I even met Teresa Halbach when we were placed at the same table at a wedding. She was the wedding photographer. All that said, I do not claim to know her, her family or all the details of the case. I also did not cover it firsthand.

I started watching the series thinking Steven Avery was a terrible killer who convinced his nephew to do horrible things. The series had me do a nearly 180 degree flip. How could my idea of what happened switch so easily? I knew the documentary was very one-sided and that had me thirsty for more information. (I hope others also feel compelled to learn more about the case and what was left out.)

I hit the internet. One thing I found over and over again disturbed me. It makes me angry. Countless tweets about Mike Halbach, the victim's brother. Negative tweets. Accusatory tweets. Hateful tweets. Again, let me identify him, he's the victim's brother. Think about that. This man had to watch as search parties tried to find his sister for days. He then learned his sister had been shot and killed, her body burned. It's certainly plausible there were other horrendous crimes done to this innocent woman. Her brother lived through that. Her brother now lives through this.

Here are some tweets.

Here's a little insight on how television news works. When a person is missing, the public can help and so can the media. There seems to be a greater community response and search turnout when people feel an emotional attachment to the victim. If you just throw a graphic on the screen with a person's height and weight, viewers are less likely to pay attention and think they can help. If you show a picture, interest increases. If you put up a picture and include interviews with loved ones about what the family is going through those news stories have a large impact. Mike Halbach became the family's spokesperson. That must have been difficult, but he did it. I think that's commendable. That role continued throughout the trials.

I realize some of you reading this are thinking I'm missing the point. That you believe Mike Halbach is a possible suspect. A couple notes on that. This article lists the alternative suspects the defense wanted to present information about according to court documents. You'll remember they weren't allowed to suggest alternative suspects. If you read it you'll see Halbach is not on the list. Maybe they only listed possible suspects that were on the property that day but regardless Halbach is not on the list. (In case you're interested and again, I think people should be, the same author wrote: 14 pieces of troubling evidence Netflix' "Making a Murderer" left out)

And let's say you still think Mike Halbach is responsible in some way. I'd argue that's somewhat hypocritical and you've missed the point of the series. There is no evidence suggesting that. Nothing but a feeling people have. Isn't it those pre-conceived notions that people are most up-in-arms about? Okay fine, you think there needs to be more investigating regarding the case. After watching the series, I totally get that.

The Halbach family was experiencing extreme grief (I can only imagine) and simultaneously thrown into the public's eye. They had investigators telling them they found the guy (then guys) responsible. That must have been comforting during a terrible time. It was not their job to find the killer. Maybe Mike Halbach is an amazing guy. Maybe he's not. I don't know him, but I am so glad my family hasn't gone through what his family did.

During a news conference then-Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz said, "there's only one victim in this case." This series has made people question whether that's true. There may indeed be convicted criminals who deserve the label victim. But the best way to right that possible wrong isn't for the public to make more victims.


Popular Posts