4 ways I'm preparing for air travel with a toddler

Four days. I'm going on vacation in four days! You read that and thought I'm incredibly excited, right? I mean that's typically how people feel about an upcoming trip. I always did. Visions of sunshine, decadent food, too much alcohol, and making memories with those I adore. That's what vacation is all about. This one will have all that. But I have to get there first. And that, my friends, will be a challenge. Because this time I'm flying solo with a toddler. We will board a non-direct flight bound for a location four states away. I just took a deep, audible, cleansing breath. I am in preparation mode.

1) We have new gear. We now have three strollers for our one child. Our jogging stroller is obviously too big for travel and our too-cheap umbrella stroller has wheels that need to get on the same page - one goes left while the other goes right, then good-ole lefty decides to stop while righty rolls right along. This typically results in me exercising my knowledge of all swear words in rapid succession. And that's during a peaceful mall walk with all the time in the world. I can't imagine the words I'd say when I'm about to board a plane with a 15-month-old. Deep, cleansing breath. I picked a more expensive umbrella stroller during my pre-trip shopping outing. I must have looked determined or a bit unhinged because my husband did not ask the typical, "why do we need another one?" The truth is I bought another stroller because I like to control things. I can't control everything about our travel, but I will - dang nabbit - have working stroller wheels.

2) I am trained to ignore you. I know there will be people who stare at me and then stare longer and longer when my son inevitably decides to scream, cry, throw something, wiggle, kick, push. They will stare and stare some more in hopes of me catching their gaze and seeing their disappointment, displeasure, anger about me ruining their flight, bitterness about their travel not being as wonderful as they expected, heck I'm sure I'll get some glares from the woman who didn't lose the weight she had hoped before she had to squeeze into a swimsuit. I get it. There will be hot and bothered people who will unload their wrath in the form of dagger-like stares that pierce into the woman traveling with a toddler. If that is you, please realize I see you, I just have prepared and meditated for days to fully ignore you and ignore you I will. Ain't nobody got time for that. I'm already feeling stressed. I don't need your social pressures to bear down on me.

3) I have stuff. I made plans. That said, I probably didn't prepare in the way you think I should have. I might bring some toys that make noise because my son likes them. I realize you may think that's a bad idea. I might bring some treats that he decides to throw because he seems to hate them. Trust me, he loved them hours earlier. I pre-picked the back row when that was an option in order to stay out of your way. On the one leg of the trip when I'm in the middle of three seats, I'm sorry. I didn't want that either. I promise I am not doing any of these things to upset him or you. I am channeling peace keeper. If - scratch that *when* - I fail, please recognize I didn't set out to intentionally sabotage your trip.

4) I also am preparing by realizing I am not alone. In fact, there are people who have traveled with two or three children under the age of four. I thank them for paving the way for me. They give me hope. They give me perspective. Also, if you're one of these next-level parents, you are allowed to laugh at me and my current single-child status and single-child problems because you are a saint. I am in awe of you for taking on such a challenge and surviving. You are a true pioneer. Thank you!

Maybe the travel experience will be perfect. Maybe it won't. All I know is mama needs some sun.

Popular Posts