HELP!!! I can't find the brakes!

It's like I'm driving full steam ahead, and I can't find the brakes...wait...that's not exactly right...it's like I'm in a weird dream where I do not even comprehend the brakes exist.

I mean, I keep going and going, weeks seem to pass by like days and suddenly I wake up, and I'm in my third trimester!

I believe I've complained about pregnancy enough to suggest that I would like time to fly by, but now as I look at my large belly, I am reminded that SOON there will be a baby.

I know I am not the first, heck, I'm not even the billionth mother to complain about how time speeds up when you have kids, but HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN???

I spent my first pregnancy watching weekly video updates about the progress of my pregnancy. I took monthly pictures to show my belly changes along the way. I even read books that gave me week-by-week updates. Now, I have to double check my brain to figure out how many weeks pregnant I am. I set each doctor appointment four weeks apart and every time they pop up on my phone calendar for the week, I'm stunned another month has passed.

I think the difference is free time isn't really a thing when you're a parent with a young child. This isn't a pity party post. Not at all. I'm not whining about how I long for free time, I'm just factually stating it doesn't really exist anymore. Sure, I have time away from my son. I have time to do things I enjoy. But I have to put in some effort to make that time happen. I have to plan and arrange. And I only have one kiddo in my life. During my pre-kid life, I just did whatever the heck I wanted to do most of the time. 'I feel like getting a manicure, okay, I'll do that now.' 'I feel like going to lunch, okay, I'll call someone and do that now.' 'I feel like going to the bathroom by myself. I will.' None of those things happen without a few steps these days.

And when you have no free time, the minute and hour hands on the clock hit a warp speed that defy the rules of physics. It's just science, people.

So now here I am, looking at the calendar thinking there is no way it's September. There's no way summer is essentially over. There is no way I will have another little person in my life before winter kicks in. There's just no way!!

I also seem to have this false sense of security that I'm prepared for a baby because I recently had one. But I'm not really sure that's true. I don't have a plan for my toddler when I go into labor. I haven't done inventory on all of our bottles and miscellaneous baby gear. I haven't had to because, again, my head thinks we have plenty of time! Thank goodness for my mom. Her recent visit helped me get moving on Operation Baby. And even though some of the baby prep conversations are not among my husband's favorites, he's been really receptive to listening to my thoughts on things we should be doing. 

Because somehow, this is happening, and relatively soon there will be a new little, squishy, beautiful baby in my arms!! And bottom line, I CANNOT WAIT!

Popular Posts