Cold is a state of mind

There I was, shivering in a news vehicle for about 22 minutes before I needed to rush outside for another live shot. I wore heavy socks (not wool, I'm allergic), boots, long underwear bottoms, pants, (sometimes snow pants), long underwear top, turtle neck, sweater, scarf, gloves, hat, heavy winter coat and of course there was the occasional hand and/or foot warmer. It was one of those days when we were really hoping we might hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but we all knew there wasn't a chance. Reporting in Minnesota in winter sure is sumthin. (I actually absolutely loved my job for reasons that still confound me because it got freeze-your-nostrils-hair cold way too often!)

So there I was, beyond bundled when the photographer I was working with said, "Jennifer, being cold is just a state of mind. You have to just tell yourself you're warm." Me: "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." Apparently, niceties are the first to go when your brain and body are working to keep you warm enough to survive (slight exaggeration).

I remember moving to Omaha and people warned me about the winters. I tried to muffle my chuckles. You see, this is the warmest place I've ever lived. I'm not saying it as a badge of honor just a truth. That said, this winter has been cold.

Last week we received snow or a snow/ice mix on four days. That's too many days. So...

My son and I grabbed ice cream on a day this weekend when some people were afraid to drive on the icy roads. This kid gets his ice cream-eating skills straight from his mother's side.




I went and got a manicure and picked a very springy pale pink.

I stopped and bought some fresh hydrangeas for the kitchen table.


Then I told the husband and kids we should go to a local nursery/landscaping place to buy a plant and an orchid.

Today I picked a pink dress from my closet and added a bright blue necklace.

And then it hit me. I've spent the last two days trying really hard to convince my brain it's spring.


Perhaps it's because I saw the forecast had temps in the 50s this week, or perhaps I was just done with winter, but either way, my mind has re-charged a bit. Maybe cold is a state of mind, either way, I'm going to keep thinking spring until it actually comes.

My fabulous co-workers that make up the 3 News Now Weather Alert Team compiled some signs of spring, you can read here.

Popular Posts