This working mom still needs time away

I don't deserve time away. I spend hours upon hours away from my children when I go to work. Every other second should be with them.

Even when I felt those emotions years ago, I still knew they were silly. I would never say them aloud. I knew people would tell me I was crazy. But, I did feel them.

That's why I spent years only taking walks even though I would've preferred a more intense workout. It's why I didn't plan or suggest trips.

Thankfully, I've had others in my life who have made them happen. It's the support I've needed to realize that there isn't a stop watch that measures your caregiving, love or support, nor is there one that tracks your productivity at work. We may track hours, but those hours don't tell us how we performed.

When I leave my daughter to go get a workout, I come back to her completely refreshed and so excited to spend time with her. I am a better me.

This weekend, I'll take a girls trip with some college friends. I've come to learn that if  I don't take breaks sometimes, I run the risk of losing more and more of myself. My kids, on the other hand, sure I'll miss them, but they'll be there when I get home. And I'll be in a better spot to show them how much they mean to me.

Popular Posts