Dear mom, I see you

I see your endless hopes and your constant fears when you're pregnant.
What if something is wrong?
What if the timing isn't right?
Have I gained too much weight? Not enough?
I don't feel magical. Others say they feel magical. Is that okay?
Am I going to be a bad mom?
Will I fail my child?

I see your countless concerns in the baby and toddler years.
Why doesn't he sleep?
Can this really be a normal amount of crying?
Is she talking enough?
What are the signs of autism, hearing impairment, delayed speech? Does it matter?
Am I working too much?
Do they spend enough time interacting with other kids?
Am I a bad wife?
Am I a bad mom?
Am I failing my child?

I see your worries during the teen years.
Am I giving him enough space?
Am I giving her too much freedom?
Why are his grades slipping?
Am I too hard on her?
Does he have enough hobbies?
A girlfriend? Is it too soon? What are they doing?
He's friends with them? What are they doing?
Am I annoying?
Will he ever want to cuddle again?
Am I a bad mom?
Am I failing my child?

I see your struggles as your baby leaves the nest.
Is he prepared?
What if she wants to leave the state?
What if he is afraid to spread his wings?
Did I enjoy it enough?
What's next?
Am I a bad mom?
Am I failing my child?

Dear my mom, I see you looking at me.
You, now a grandma. Me, now a mom.
Always there to answer those questions for me.
And that is one of the endless reasons I can answer two questions with no hesitation.
No, you are not a bad mom.
No, you never failed me.
You'd never actually ask me those questions and the child in me thinks it seems silly you would need to hear the answers. But the mom in me knows every mother doubts herself, and it never hurts to be told, you're a great mom.



Popular Posts