Let's not quarantine our compassion as a community

I've been thinking about how much fear and panic can hurt us as a society.


In Omaha, we have a case of coronavirus involving a 36-year-old woman with special needs. Her father reached out to the local paper and shared their story. He did this after he had seen so many social media posts essentially attacking his daughter for going around and negligently spreading the illness when she should've known she had it. That was the perception, not the truth.  

At the time, people didn't know her underlying health condition had caused respiratory issues and that, for her, a cough was not unusual. Therefore, a cough was not cause for concern.

People didn't know that so they jumped to conclusions. Instead of seeing this first case of coronavirus as a person who is suffering, they saw themselves or those they love getting sick. The fear blinded their compassion.

Fear and panic cause us to turn inward, to defend ourselves and to see others coming from a place of harm, even when that isn't true.

I had someone reach out to tell me that I was being irresponsible on a post that told people, "don't panic." I stand by my urging to not panic. 

I also think people need to be cautious and informed. I believe in knowledge, education and facts. I encourage people to take the preparations that are best for their family. I understand anxiety and fear are real emotions. All of this can be true, and still we can vow to not panic. 

The illness may lead people to be quarantined, but hopefully we don't cut each other off from one another. Let's not quarantine our compassion as a community.

Popular Posts